Monday, September 23, 2013

M.Micallef Rouge #2: fragrance review & Deluxe Rouge Collection free perfume draw

Some perfumes benefit from an embarrassment of riches, sort of a scent analogy with Bathsheba Everdene given the choice of not one, not two, but three suitors. Similarly these gifted perfumes straddle varying stylistic directions, arriving at the most meaningful in the end, but having quite the mileage before settling there. Rouge #2 eau de parfum, part of the newly launched Art Collection Rouge by M.Micallef, is one such olfactory heroine.

Julie Christie via bookforum.com

The fusion of catty, tangy blackcurrant with spice and fruity-amber notes produces a very individual experience: the segments are certainly familiar from other fragrances which highlight one or the other, but the combination by experienced perfumer Jean Claude Astier is unexpected. Rouge #2 feels much redder than M.Micallef Rouge #1 (which flushed pinkish, salmon-toned in my mind, with its peachy rose). Although advertised as an animalic fragrance, I do not perceive it as too naughty for comfort (in the sense of too musky or civet/cumin leaning like Muscs Kublai Khan for instance), though it could be argued that my personal threshold for naughty is set on rather high, since I find the infamous MKK a purring kitten. Rouge #2 by M.Micallef is more of an intense, pungent fruity yet polished fruity oriental, in the mould of -say- Jungle L'Elephant by Kenzo, with its unusual mélange of contradicting elements.

Rouge No. 2 eau de parfum by Martine Micallef's Art Collection Rouge, which includes Rouge no.1 perfume in beautifully decorated crimpson-hued bottles with Swarovski details, is recommended for perfume lovers who like being surprised by orientals that take a zig when you expect them to take a zag and anyone who considers standard gourmands too sweet or predictable. It could be shared by both sexes, although it leans more on the feminine side, and its lasting power is very good.

Notes for M.Micallef Rouge #2:
citrus, blackcurrant, nutmeg, jasmine, violet, orchid, amber, vanilla, labdanum, castoreum

Finally for our readers and thanks to the US distributor of Micallef, we have a lucky draw: 
10 winners will each receive two fragrances, the pair of No.1 and No.2 as large 5 ml deluxe miniatures set in a drawstring pouch: M. Micallef Art Collection Rouge No.1 M. Micallef Art Collection Rouge No.2.  The draw is available to US addresses only and is open till Wednseday midnight. Winner to be announced on Thursday Please leave a comment to be eligible.


39 comments:

  1. Ellen16:08

    I've tried Rouge #1 and thought it was really lovely. I'd love to sample Rouge#2. Thanks so much for the draw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah16:47

    I love these olfactory interpretations of color, and how you can say something like "Rouge #2 feels much redder than Rouge #1". I think all perfume bloggers are able to tap into a form of synthesia.

    Thanks for the review and the draw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these sound like they could be quite nice. I'd love to enter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, please, these sound delightful! Thanks to all involved for the opportunity. I'm in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  5. please do enter me in the drawing! would love to try this one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These fragrances sound intriguing. Please enter me, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hotlanta linda18:38

    These sound heady and heavenly!! Always good to be informed by reading your blog! :-) Thank you for the draw!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to try -i have heard great things about this line-thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lucky draw for this terrible Monday sounds perfect. Unpredictable orientals and not-cloying gourmands are just my cup of tea.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am wearing Kenzo elephant right now. This is just a perfect coincidence. I'd love to try these. What's not to love!
    Thanks for this wonderful samples.

    ReplyDelete
  11. peachy roses and contradictory fruity orientals sound yummy!
    I am in the US. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous23:24

    Wow these sound intriguing ! Please include me in the draw.
    Thanks-indigo owl

    ReplyDelete
  13. AmyW23:37

    hi, i would love to enter! spicy blackburrant sounds delectable!
    thank you for the draw!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous23:42

    Put me in the draw.

    ReplyDelete
  15. leathermountain02:52

    I'd love to enter. I'm in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the note of nutmeg!

    volta2173 at sbcglobal dot net

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to be entered into the draw, I'm in the US. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous04:06

    These both sound lovely and I would like to be entered in the draw, thank you! I live in the U.S.
    I just realized that one of my favorite heroines, the Bathsheba you mention and show, has a contemporary heroine with the same last name as well as an unusual first name: Katniss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mimi G05:57

    This sounds deliscious, Elena. Thank you for the draw.

    Love Mimi G XXX

    ReplyDelete
  20. T.G.06:19

    I live in the U.S., & I'd love to try these 2 fragrances. The other Micallefs I've tried (Hiver, Printemps, Guiac) were quite good indeed.
    Cheers,
    T.G.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to try these two! I live in the US and have tried Guiac as well as Nasreen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Micallef is a house I've never tried - I should make to point to smell some sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so loving the "trend" toward mixing mediums (art/perfume) for example. This sounds like another. I saw in Traditional Home October 2013 an article about decorating style as compared to perfume preference. This month's was the oriental genre. Others will follow in months to come. Thanks, as always, for the opportunity to win samples to try. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Squeal! I'm with you in having high tolerance for animalics. Would love to sample these.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd love to try these, as I haven't had a chance to try anything from this line as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Connie19:09

    I would love to try these, my experience with Micallef is sadly limited/nonexistent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cheryl21:41

    Haven't had the pleasure of Micallef
    yet, and red is my neutral in life...
    fingers crossed.

    Many thanks for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for the generous draw. I've not tried any Micallef yet and would love to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have ordered samples, really want to try the rouge fragrances. Thanks for the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. spankysparkle00:58

    The beautiful Julie Christie in one of my favorite movies. I had such a thing for Alan Bates. Would love to be able to try these fragrances. Thanks for the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cynthia L03:04

    Micallef is being very generous! I have gardenia which is very nice. I would love to try these two newest members of the Micallef family!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Irina06:00

    Please, enter me the draw- I would love to be able to try these.Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  33. These both sound intriguing.I especially like the use of blackcurrant as a note.It has such a tart fruity element that ranges from sweet to as you mentioned "cat pissy".Thanks for the draw!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm definitely intrigued! Please enter me in the draw (I live in the US)! Thanks,as always!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous14:21

    These sound lovely! I would so like to try something from this house. Kayceebee

    ReplyDelete
  36. Barbara22:27

    Have never tried anything from M. Micallef and would love to win these. I've seen pictures of the bottles and they are gorgeous (of course, red is my favorite color)!
    I am in the USA, thanks for the draw.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Mary K23:08

    I love M. Micallef perfumes. Please enter me in the drawing. I am in the US. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The draw is closed and the winners are announced.
    However ALL participants have a chance to get free samples, so be sure to check my announcement on the Home page of the blog for more details.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Type your comment in the box, choose the Profile option you prefer from the drop down menu, below text box (Anonymous is fine too!) and hit Publish.
And you're set!

This Month's Popular Posts on Perfume Shrine